- Manager - Workplace Relations
The Queensland Catholic Education Commission (QCEC) is seeking an experienced Workplace Relations professional or employment lawyer for a key leadership role overseeing QCEC's Workplace Relations functions. The Manager - Workplace Relations provides expertise in:
- Leading QCEC's role in the planning, coordination, negotiation and settlement of Enterprise Bargaining negotiations in consultation with 22 Catholic School Authorities which operate 304 schools and employ more than 19,000 staff across the State.
- Providing strategic leadership over the provision of advice and assistance to school authorities on a range of workplace relations issues
- Managing the strategic direction of QCEC's Workplace Relations team in partnership with QCEC's senior leaders.
Your success in this role will be assessed on your ability to demonstrate the following key skills, experiences and capabilities:
- 10 years' + experience in HR, workplace relations, employment law and/or industrial relations, supplemented by relevant tertiary qualifications in workplace relations, law or a related field.
- Thorough knowledge of interpretation and implementation of legislation, Enterprise Agreements and Awards
- Thorough knowledge of contemporary workplace relations policy and practice and human resources strategies, systems, frameworks and processes.
- Ability to lead and provide accurate workplace relations advice to QCEC and Catholic School
- Authorities across the full range of workplace relations functions.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing, negotiation and written and oral communication skills, including advocacy experience in the Fair Work Commission or similar settings
- Extensive experience solving very complex problems, analysing issues from various perspectives and exercising sound, independent judgement.
- Ability to influence others, including the diverse range of stakeholders found in industrial settings.
- Proven ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively when resolving workplace relations issues.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet strict deadlines.
The role of QCEC is essentially strategic, and it has as its principal goal the greater co-ordination and advancement of Catholic education in Queensland, with due regard for the autonomy of the 22 Catholic School Authorities who operate the 304 Catholic schools in Queensland. The operational dimension of the Commission is carried out by a small (45 person) Secretariat based at Penola Place, 143 Edward Street, Brisbane, which implements the Commission's decisions and administers its various initiatives by collaborating with the Catholic School Authorities.This position reports to the Director - Governance, Strategy and Corporate Services but will also work closely with the Executive Director (who is the Commission's Chief Executive Officer and spokesperson) and the 22 Catholic School Authorities which own and operate Queensland Catholic schools.
Key Skills and Experience
Working at QCEC
- Support for the vision, mission and values of QCEC
- Tertiary level qualifications in Industrial Relations, Human Resources, or Law
- Significant practical experience in Workplace Relations or advisory services
- Significant practical experience leading or advising large, diverse and complex organisations about Workplace Relations, Industrial Relations and Human Resources disputes (and resolution strategies)
- High level ability to develop and implement negotiation and bargaining strategies, including leading or advising on the management of complex EB or related industrial relations processes and dispute resolution processes
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence the decision making of executive management
- Ability to work autonomously and to exercise judgement in developing and executing strategies on behalf of QCEC and employing authorities
- High level ability to represent and advocate in the Fair Work Commission and other administrative tribunals
- High level ability to identify, develop and deliver quality professional advice on workplace relations policy and practice
- Commitment to participate in and contribute to building a positive and collaborative staff culture.
QCEC is a team of professionals working in strategic areas of policy and implementation for high quality education in the Catholic Education sector.
Further information about QCEC and access to a range of corporate publications including the organisational structure and strategic plan can be found here: https://qcec.catholic.edu.au/about-qcec/who-we-are/.
Are You the Right Person for the Job?
You will be assessed on your capability and capacity for the following in the context of the accountabilities above.
The Archdiocese of Brisbane has standards of conduct for employees and volunteers to maintain a safe and healthy environment. Our commitment to these standards requires that we conduct background referencing for all persons who will engage in direct and regular involvement with children, young people and/or vulnerable adults.
- Supports strategic direction - Supports shared purpose and direction. Understands and supports the organisation's vision, mission and business objectives.
- Identifies the relationship between organisational goals and operational tasks.
- Achieves results - Takes responsibility for managing work projects to achieve results. Contributes own policy analysis expertise to achieve outcomes for the organisation.
- Supports productive working relationships - Nurtures internal and external relationships. Builds and sustains positive relationships with team members, stakeholders and clients. Is responsive to changes in client and stakeholder needs and expectations.
- Displays personal drive and integrity - Persists with and focuses on achieving objectives even in difficult circumstances. Remains positive and responds to pressure in a calm manner.
- Communicates with influence - Communicates clearly. Confidently presents messages in a clear and concise and articulate manner. Structures written and oral communication to ensure clarity.
- Friday, January 25, 2019
- Interested in Applying?
Please provide the following information to enable assessment of your suitability:
- A two-page response to the points listed above in the ‘Are you the right person for the job?’ section having regard to the requirements of the role as described in this advertisement.
- A current résumé of no more than three pages that provides the contact details of at least two referees from the last two years, with a thorough knowledge of your work performance and conduct. Please ensure that one of the referees is your current or immediate past supervisor.
For further information and a confidential discussion please contact the consultant supporting the Commission, Janine Walker 0407621306, email@example.com. Further information about the role and application process, including a Position Description, can be accessed at the QCEC website at https://qcec.catholic.edu.au/employment/positions-vacant/
Applications should be addressed to Chris Woolley, Director – Governance, Strategy and Corporate Services sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on 25 January 2019.