Brisbane Open House 2019
- Saturday October 12, 2019 - Sunday October 13, 2019
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Cathedral of St Stephen 249 Elizabeth Street Brisbane QLD
Brisbane Open House is a free public event that celebrates Brisbane’s architecture and offers behind the scenes access to buildings across the city.
In 2019 the Cathedral of St Stephen will again participate as a destination, with many milestones having a particular resonance:
1869 – 150 years ago St. Mary MacKillop arrives in Brisbane in December
1989 – Cathedral of St Stephen and the precinct renovated
Thirty years ago, the Cathedral and precinct underwent major renovations. Walls were torn down to be replaced by open space and the Cathedral saw bobcats taking the place of pews. The whole interior was renewed.
Robyn Gibson was the architect who brought to life the commission given him by Archbishop Rush
1999 – First church, now called St. Stephen’s Chapel renovated
Twenty years ago, under the impetus given by Archbishop Bathersby, the original St Stephen’s church was restored and renovated. This historic building, opened in 1850 had deteriorated due to the soft sandstone used.
Once again Robyn Gibson was the architect chose to restore and renovate this A.W.N. Pugin designed church.
Come and visit
- The Cathedral and chapel
- The St. Mary MacKillop display window and walk
- The display in the Francis Rush Centre marking the momentous changes that these anniversaries celebrate with images and artefacts.
You will find:
- Children’s activities
- St Vincent de Paul Society sausage sizzle and water station
- All Hallows Choir and musicians will perform in the Cathedral on Sunday 13 October from 2.00 to 3.00 p.m. Admission free.
- Cathedral of St Stephen Art Group display