Home » News and events » Media releases » Santa Teresa Spirituality Centre springs to life on Brisbane’s bayside

Santa Teresa Spirituality Centre springs to life on Brisbane’s bayside

People in need of spiritual retreat in south east Queensland now have a new venue available to them overlooking Moreton Bay.

The ‘Santa Teresa Spirituality Centre’ at Ormiston was officially opened by Brisbane Archbishop John Bathersby and the Papal Nuncio, Archbishop Giuseppe Lazzarotto, on October 4.

Located adjacent to heritage listed “Ormiston House” and the Carmelite Monastery, the centre was named by Archbishop Bathersby in honour of Santa Teresa.

This name links it to the Santa Teresa Indigenous Parish Mission outside Alice Springs, and also recognises the first Catholic mission to indigenous people in Queensland was established across the water at Stradbroke Island in 1843.

Secondly, it pays tribute to Saint Therese of Lisieux (Santa Teresa is the Italian version of St Therese), the French Carmelite sister whose hallmark was obedience to God in the simple things of life. The new Archdiocesan spirituality centre is built on land previously owned by the Carmelite Sisters.

Originally known as ‘The Cenacle”, Santa Teresa was operated by the Cenacle Sisters until 2006 when the religious order returned to New Zealand.

The Brisbane Archdiocese purchased the property determined to retain it as a place of prayer and spiritual formation.

With views to Stradbroke Island and the southern part of Moreton Bay, the beauty and serenity of Santa Teresa lends itself perfectly to those seeking closer union with God.

The centre will handle personal and small group live-in retreats as well as larger group spiritual formation to a maximum of 50 people. 30 modern ensuited rooms provide accommodation on site.

Spiritual direction, prayer and sacramental celebrations in accord with the needs of retreatants can be arranged with Fr Chris Gleeson sj, the Director of the Centre. For further information and bookings please phone 3336 9277.
Released by The Catholic Communications Office

Scroll to top