Each parish community provides a range of prayer and spirituality opportunities that encourage Catholics to grow in their relationship with God. Some of these happen regularly (eg Sunday and weekday Eucharist, Sacrament of Penance, Prayer of the Church, Rosary, Bible Study groups…) while other prayer devotions are conducted at the appropriate liturgical seasons or feast days (eg Stations of the Cross, Eucharistic Adoration, Prayers for Christian Unity, Marian devotions…)
Since the Second Vatican Council there has been a profusion of Catholic lay movements who have developed distinctive spiritualities and mission initiatives reflective of their particular charism. Many of these exist within the Archdiocese of Brisbane and offer a great diversity of experiences and services to assist Catholics in their faith journey. These include:
- Awaken: is a prayer group that is made up of faithfuls who love the Lord, the Catholic Church, and those with a desire to renew Parish life and respond to the call of The New Evangelisation.
- Brisbane Courage: is a support group for same sex attracted men and women who strive to lead a chaste life according to the moral norms of the Catholic Church.
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd: is a Christian formation process for children aged 3 to 12 years, in which they experience and form an authentic, faithful relationship with God.
- Website: http://www.cgsaust.org.au
- Catholic Charismatic Renewal Brisbane: is a Brisbane based network of Catholic Charismatic Prayer Groups found in many parishes with a program of outreach activities.
- Catholic Charismatic Renewal Bardon Outreach: fosters an awareness of the gift of God’s Holy Spirit and helps people develop a deeper personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Catholic Women’s League: promotes the spiritual, cultural, intellectual and social development of women and children.
- Christian Life Community: is an international lay community that promotes the spiritual exercises of St Ignatius and provides training for spiritual direction.
- Christian Meditation Community: is a worldwide network of people who follow the mantra meditation approach developed by Fr John Main OSB. Groups of meditators meet regularly to deepen their spiritual growth.
- Cursillo: is a movement within the Church that focuses on helping each person to discover themselves, their relationship with Christ and with others.
- Emmanuel Community: is a Brisbane based community of an international group known as the Catholic Fraternity, committed to being a force for renewal in the Church and transformation in the world.
- Equipes Notre-Dame Teams of Our Lady: is a movement for married spirituality.
- FOCUS: The Fellowship of Catholic United Singles organises a series of social events for singles.
Enquiries to Robert: email@example.com
- Knights of the Southern Cross: A lay apostolate for men dedicated to the public defence of the Catholic faith and support of church organisations via fundraising. Incorporates Southern Cross Care which provides home-based health care and hostel care.
- Legion of Mary: is a lay association with a special emphasis on a devotion to Mary, the Mother of God; the association meets weekly for prayer and action, leading to spiritual growth.
- Little King’s Movement: is a Brisbane based Catholic support group for the handicapped, located in Wooloongabba.
- Marriage Encounter: A worldwide movement by which married couples, priests and religious are assisted in further developing and enriching their relationships and vocations, usually through weekend programs.
- Mothers Prayers / Fathers Prayers: is a worldwide movement that encourages mothers and fathers to pray together with other parents for their children and grandchildren.
- Movement for a Better World: is a worldwide association of lay people, religious and priests offering retreats and ongoing renewal and formation.
- National Evangelisation Teams (NET): recruits, trains and sends teams of young adults for full-time evangelisation ministry (for one or two years) within dioceses, parishes and schools throughout Australia.
- Neo-Catechumenate: provides scripture-based formation and an experience of a community within the parish community.
- Newman Society: provides a forum for Catholic university students to meet and socialise.
- Passionist Family Group Movement: promotes family life and fosters parish community by incorporating individuals and families into extended family groups.
- Rosies Youth Mission Inc: is a peer to peer outreach to youth and young adults via street and prison ministry.
- Smart Loving: assists married couples to deepen their relationship and grow in their sacramental mission to love.
- Smart Loving Engaged: is an innovative program to prepare you and fiancé for Marriage in the Catholic Church.
- Society of St Vincent de Paul – State Council of Queensland: is a voluntary organisation with parish-based conferences which fosters the faith of its members and provides practical assistance to the poor and homeless.
- The Lord’s Prayer Fraternity: is a small friendly interparish discipleship group strengthening the vision of Jesus in our lives.
- Women of the Way: is a Brisbane group that hold monthly meetings for women to reflect on their spiritual journey and be supported by a time of fellowship.