On 5th June 2019, Archbishop Mark addressed an ecumenical gathering of spiritual directors. In his address, he affirmed the value of spiritual direction as an important ministry of the church, expressing the desire that ‘spiritual direction be brought out of the shadows into the light.
Archbishop Mark also affirmed the work of spiritual direction as invitational; ‘Tell me the story of God in your life and tell me the story of your life in God.’
The Archdiocese has amongst its faithful people who have training in spiritual direction. This ministry has a long tradition of companioning others in their spiritual journey with God and is available to all who would welcome this presence with them.
- What is Spiritual Direction?
What is Spiritual Direction?
There are many statements that capture the essence and purpose of a spiritual direction encounter:
- Spiritual direction is a conversation of the heart.
- Spiritual direction is a ministry of spiritual guidance and companionship.
- It is an ongoing one-to-one relationship of deep listening to the movement of God and the Holy Spirit’s “still small voice”.
- This ministry of spiritual direction offers a sacred and confidential place to tell the story of who you are and to give voice to your experiences of God.
- Spiritual direction focuses on what happens when a person listens to and responds to a self-communicating God.
- Receiving spiritual direction enables us to become more mindful of how our story is part of a bigger story – God’s story.
- ‘The purpose of spiritual direction is to help turn our wandering into journeying.’ – Archbishop Mark Coleridge
- How do I find a Spiritual Director?
How do I find a Spiritual Director?
We are an Ecumenical Body called to the ministry of companioning others within the Brisbane Catholic Archdiocese. We are here to support you during this time of global crises. While a person to person encounter is not currently possible, technology offers various options for engaging in sacred conversation.
If you would like to engage in spiritual direction please view the various profiles here and choose one who most closely meets your area of interest or church affiliation and connect with them directly. For general enquiries please email email@example.com or phone 3324 3419.
- Professional Standards
The ministry of spiritual direction is a sacred trust, calling for the highest standards of formation, practice and accountability.
Spiritual directors cherish and foster an active life of faith and prayer, and regularly seek spiritual direction and supervision for themselves.
A code of ethics is an essential part of the practice of the ministry of spiritual direction.
“In common with other professionals who engage in deep personal contact with others, spiritual directors practise their ministry in a professional capacity. Any misuse of power by a director exposes the person being directed to the possibility of its abuse. Directors may not use others for their own pleasure, satisfaction or benefit. Spiritual direction is based on values which acknowledge the nature of God’s presence in all creation. This divine presence in all humans must be acknowledged and respected within the spiritual direction relationship.”
“I value the conversations I have with my Spiritual Director. They are a safe space to shine a light on my spiritual path which can be quite dull at times. And to celebrate the joys and discoveries we uncover along the way.” – Donna