19 June 2017
The scaffolding has come down but work continues on the renovations to the Cathedral.
Here’s an update on the work:
- The improvements to the roof should be completed in three weeks. Ten tonnes of lead is being placed on the roof, helping to keep rain away from the stone.
- The cleaning of the stone continues. This process has shown parts of the Cathedral to need more work than others. The cleaning has shown up some broken stone which has required the use of stainless steel pins.
- All pre-cabling has been completed for the audio system.
- All cabling has been done for a new camera system that will improve the live-streaming of Masses and also assist with security.
- Pre-cabling, piping and structural work have been done for an air-conditioning system. There is no timeframe for the new system.
The Blessed Sacrament Chapel, including its roof, will be next in the renovation plans. A date has not been set for that work.